Help Keep Kids Safe with the Return to School
Every year in BC 72 kids are injured in crashes in school and playground zones. With kids returning to school this week, police will be stepping up enforcement of speed limits in school zones. Here are some tips from ICBC to help drivers keep kids safe:
- Every school day, unless otherwise posted, a 30 km/h speed limit is in effect in school zones from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- When you’re dropping off your children in school zones, allow them to exit the car on the side closest to the sidewalk. Never allow a child to cross mid-block.
- If a vehicle is stopped in front of you or in the lane next to you, they may be yielding to a pedestrian, so proceed with caution and be prepared to stop.
- Watch for school buses. Vehicles approaching from both directions must stop for school buses when their lights are flashing.
- Before getting into your vehicle, walk around it to make sure no small children are hidden from your view. Always look for pedestrians when you are backing up.
To help keep your child safe, review ICBC’s child pedestrian safety tip sheet with them.
We can all do our part to help keep our roads safe!