Being in a motor vehicle accident is extremely stressful. Take some of that stress out of the picture with this guideline of what you must do at the scene of the accident and in the immediate aftermath of an accident to help make your accident claim successful: At the Scene of the Accident:
- Stay calm and check yourself and any passengers for injuries;
- Do not move your vehicle unless it is blocking traffic. Put on your hazard lights to warn other drivers;
- Exchange information with the other motorist including their name and address, driver’s license number, vehicle plate number and the name of the registered owner of the vehicle;
- Take photos of the accident scene and the vehicles involved;
- Do not admit or deny fault for the accident;
- Obtain the names and contact information of any witnesses;
- If there are injuries, call 911.
After Leaving the Scene of the Accident
- Obtain medical attention if injuries have been suffered;
- Call Dial A Claim to report the accident but do not meet with an adjuster prior to seeking legal help;
- Do not provide ICBC with a signed statement;
- Prepare detailed notes of the circumstances that led to the accident occurring.