What to do after a bike accident
I am an avid cyclist. I like to ride my bike to work and I like to ride my bike for fun. When you are on the road though, the potential for a bike accident is high. That is particularly so with the change in weather. The rainy, dark days make cyclists particularly hard to see. If you are continuing to ride in this inclement weather here are a few tips to keep in mind:
- Make sure that you are visible to other users of the road. Use a strong head light to make sure that you are seen;
- Plan your route to include bike lanes and paths as often as possible;
- Always be aware of what is going on around you and continuously scan for hazards such as pot holes;
- Assume that motorists have not seen you and keep on the lookout for motorists entering from side roads, out of parking lots and opening car doors;
- Use hand signals to let other users of the road know what you are doing;
- Stay at least one metre away from parked vehicles;
- It is illegal to cycle on sidewalks and in crosswalks, and it is dangerous. Don’t do it.
If despite doing everything you can to stay safe on the roads you are injured in a bicycle accident, understand your rights. Both cars and bicycles have an obligation to obey the rules of the road. If a driver of a car is at fault for your accident, you are entitled to compensation for any injuries that you sustain. Motorists, and ICBC, are often quick to blame cyclists for accidents. In reality most accidents involving a bike and a car are a result of the driver of the car not obeying the rules of the road, or not respecting the right of the cyclist to share the road with them. If the driver was careless or negligent, you are entitled to compensation from ICBC for all harm and damages that you sustain as a result of the motorists negligence. Consult with an experienced ICBC lawyer to ensure that you are fully compensated. Rose Keith is not only an experienced cyclist but experienced representing cyclists injured in motor vehicle accidents and has extensive experience dealing with ICBC. If you have been injured, call us today.